Ani Choying Drolma, the founder of the Nuns Welfare Foundation of Nepal, was born in 1970 in Nepal. At the age of 13, she joined Nagi Gompa, a Buddhist nunnery on Shivapuri Mountain on the northern slope of the Kathmandu valley. Her education and spiritual training was supervised by the renowned meditation master, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. She was educated in Buddhist meditation, chants, rituals and ceremonies and quickly advanced to the position of the chanting master in the nunnery.
Later, she resigned from this position to become Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche’s personal health attendant and served him until his parinirvana (passing away) in February 1996. From seeing Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche’s altruistic life-style, always giving to others, without considering his own welfare, she developed a sincere desire to use whatever capacities she has to benefit beings as much as possible. Because Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche himself held nuns in the same regard as monks, Ani Choying Drolma believes that creating more opportunities for nuns to study and to develop their own capacities for skillful and compassionate action is the best way she can dedicate herself to her teacher’s vision throughout her life. She is committed to do whatever she can to promote the advancement of nuns, not only for their own benefit but because they will then be better prepared to serve and benefit others.
Ani Choying Drolma is an internationally reputed singer of Buddhist hymns and chants who has toured extensively in North America, Asia and Europe. A philanthropist dedicated to the welfare of Buddhist nuns, who founded the Arya Tara School in the year 2000 for nuns. The school runs with the help of proceeds from her concerts tours, CD sales and donation.
2354 Total Views 2 Views Today
- Puja Leader and Attendant to Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, Nagi Gompa.
- Led all religious ceremonies and rituals (1988-89) at the Nagi Gompa Hermitage, home to some 100 nuns.
- Served as personal health attendant (1985-1996) to Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, abbot of Nagi Gompa.
- Professional spiritual singer publicity since 1998.
- Founder, Nuns’ Welfare Foundation (NWF) of Nepal.
- The NWF is a registered non-governmental organization, established in 1998 to promote the education and welfare of nuns so that they may in turn serve the larger community.
- Arya Tara School, the flagship project of NWF, was opened in 2000. It provides both secular and religious education training in Tibetan, Buddha Dharma, Nepali, English, Math and Science to more than 70 young nuns.
- The Thangka Painting School, another project under the banner of NWF was opened on 25th March 2007 at the Arya Tara School premises in Pharping. This is the only and the first school to teach the Tibetan art form of Thangka painting to nuns in Nepal.
- With support from Ani Choying’s well-wishers, Heri and Margret Wirth, water for the World, Germany, she also built a water reservoir with a capacity of one hundred and fifty thousand liters of water in the Seti Devi village which saw completion on November 21, 2006. This project is dedicated to the rural women of this region for whom the duty of carrying loads of water every day from nearby water sources has been tremendously reduced.
- Founder, Aarogya Foundation – The Kidney Hospital
- Ani Choying Dolma and a transplant surgeon Dr. Pukar Shrestha
- established a foundation called Aarogya Foundation with very well-known and active Doctors, Actors, and many other well-known personalities in actively working toward the establishment of the Kidney Hospital Project. The Aarogya foundation’s main goal is to help save the lives of patients suffering from organ failure, largely resulting from kidney disease where quality dialysis and kidney transplants can be offered at affordable costs.
- CD Recording on the names:
- ‘‘CHO’’ in 1997 for Worldwide release by an American CD Company, Rykodisc.
- ‘‘DANCING DAKINI’’ in 1999.
- ‘‘CHOYING’’ in 2000
- ‘‘SELWA’’ worldwide released in United States American in 2004. Manufactured by Six Degrees Records Ltd.San Francisco, CA
- ‘‘MOMENT OF BLISS’’ in the year 2004, produced by Music Nepal (P) Ltd. Anamnagar, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘SMILE’’ released in 2005 by Music Nepal (P) Ltd. Anamnagar, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘INNER PEACE I’’ in 2006 and Manufactured & Marketed by SAC Music International, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘TIME’’ album released in the year 2007 and produced by Music Nepal (P) Ltd. Anamnagar, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘AMA’’ in 2009 and produced, marketed and distributed by Ani Choying Dolma, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘MATAKALA’’ in 2009 and produced, marketed and distributed by Ani Choying Dolma, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘INNER PEACE II’’ is the second part of INNER PEACE I, released in 2010, Manufactured & Marketed by SAC Music International, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- ‘‘MANGAL VANI’’ in October 12th, 2011, Manufactured & Marketed by SAC Music International, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Her songs and original music has also appeared on various albums, including “Head Massage” by Soul Flip and the “Buddha Bar” compilation.
- Ani Choying was declared as the Ambassador of World Kidney Day in the first ever launched ‘World Kidney Day’ celebrated in Nepal on the 8th of March 2006.
- Executive Board Member for Lumbini Development Trust from 2007 -2009
- Organizing and Selection Committee member for “Gautam Buddha International Peace Award” 2010- 2011.
- Cultural Ambassador of World View Nepal with the objective of playing a participatory role in the sustainable development of Nepal.
- Goodwill Ambassador for Nepal Tourism Year in 2011.
- Patron for Rollback Violence Campaign Nepal.
- President “Nuns’ Welfare Foundation of Nepal”.
- President “Aarogya Foundation”.
- Advisor Nepal Buddhist Federation 2011.
- Goodwill Ambassador of Visit Lumbini Year 2012.
- Good will Ambassador of N-Peace Network 2012 to support women peace and security.
- Brand ambassadors of BB Airways October 4th, 2012.
- National Ambassador of UNICEF Nepal on April 11th, 2014.
2322 Total Views 2 Views Today
In 1998: Conducted concert tour of 14 cities in US
In 1999: Conducted concert tour of 14 cities in North America. Performed 10 concerts in France, Germany, and Switzerland
In 2000: Conducted concert tour of 14 cities in North America. Performed concerts in Scotland, United Kingdom, Germany and US
In 2001: Conducted concert tour of 19 cities in Europe. Performed 1 concert in Singapore
In 2002: Conducted concert tour of 16 cities in Europe. Conducted concert tour of 5 cities in US. Performed 1 concert in Singapore
In 2003: Conducted concert tour of 25 cities in Europe. Performed 10 concerts in France, Germany, and Switzerland. Performed concert for the spiritual gathering at Mirik, Darjeeling on 17th April, 2003. Performed concert at Hotel Yak & Yeti, Kathmandu on May 26, 2003. Performed concert in Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Kurseong, and Pokharebung, India in August 15, 2003. Conducted concert tour of 25 cities in Europe.Performed 10 concerts in France, Germany, and Switzerland
In 2004: Conducted a concert tour in Denmark. Performed a fundraising concert at The Bluestar Hotel, Tripureshwor, Kathmandu. Performed a concert in Italy on World Human Rights Day. Performed a concert at Forum 2004, Barcelona. Performed a fundraising concert at the Garden Of Dreams, Keshar Mahal, Kathmandu. Conducted concert tour in USA and Switzerland in October Performed concerts in many cities in Germany (Oct-Nov) 2004. Performed concerts in Barcelona, Spain. Performed a concert in Hong Kong on December 28, 2004
In 2005: Concert tour in the US accompanied by Steve Tibbets( guitarist) and Marc Anderson ( percussionist) in March. Performed concerts in the US till April 17 and in Bonn, Germany on Nepal Day (30th April 2005). Sixth Annual fundraising concert held on June 24 at Hotel Soaltee Crowne Plaza in Kathmandu and on June 25 at the Royal Nepal Academy Hall in Kathmandu. Performed concerts in Switzerland, Italy and Germany in July. Concerts in Hong Kong, and in various cities in Germany and Switzerland in September. Performed concerts in 20 cities in Germany in October and November.
In 2006: Concert tour in Germany in April. Performed at the celebration of the 20th birthday of KINDERHILFE NEPAL in Bamberg. Concert tour in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka) in May and in Switzerland in July. The annual fundraising concert was held at the Royal Nepal Academy Hall in Kathmandu, Nepal on July 1st. Concert tour in Germany in August and in Switzerland in October, 2006.
In 2007: Concert tour in Paris, France in March and the annual fundraising concert was held at Royal Nepal Academy Hall in Kathmandu, Nepal on December 15th. Performed at the 10 Year Anniversary and fundraising event of the National Kidney Centre on 10th April 2007, Kathmandu, Nepal.
In 2008: Concert tour in London, Barcelona in December. Concert in Toronto to raise funds for Koshi flood survivors in August.
In 2009: Concert tour in Switzerland in March, Poland in May, various cities in Germany in July. Performed at the 10th anniversary of Hong Kong’s Buddhist association on the occasion of Buddha Birthday on May 2009. Performed a fundraising concert in Nepal on December 2009.
In 2010: Performed at the H.H.Kyabje Dilgo Khenyentse Rinpoche’s 100 years centenary celebration on February, 2010 in Nepal. Performed at the Religious and Cultural Program in Lumbini, Nepal on March 2010. Promote ‘‘Tourism Destination in Manang’’ and performed at Buddha’s Birthday Celebration in Hong Kong on May 2010. Attained the 100 centenary celebration of H.H. Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche in Bhutan on May, 2010. Performed at the Birthday Celebration of His Holiness The Dalai Lama and NRN Concert in Moscow, Russia on July 2010.
In 2011: Concert at Primitive in Chicago, Illinois on March 2011. Concert tour in Germany and Switzerland in April. The fundraising concert was held at Auditorium Hall Army Club, Kathmandu, Nepal on 30th April 2011. Performed at His Eminence Tenga Rinpoche 80th Birthday Celebration on April 2011. New album “Mangal Vani” was launched on May 06th, 2011 at Gardens of Dreams, Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal. Attended the Gautam Buddha International Peace Award Ceremony & Buddha’s Birthday Celebration on 17th May, 2011. Concert tour in Canada, New York, Washington DC and Chicago in July, 2011. Performed at the 4th New Music Week 2011 – Diversity Concert on September, 2011 at Shanghai, China andBuddhist Hymns and Culture on October 2011 at Singapore. Performed at the Celestial Songs in Hong Kong on November 2011.
In 2012: Concert tour in Jakarta and Surabaya, Indonesia on January 2012. Performed at Sangha Lunch offering in Malaysia on February 2012. Performed at Taiwan and Ahmadabad, India on April 2012. Concert tour in Poland and performed at World Buddhist Assembly Bangkok, Thailand on May 2012. Concert tour in Switzerland on June 2012 and in Germany on June & July 2012. Performed at Hymns Singing in Kaula Lumpur, Year 2012 Malaysian Chapter of Dharma Assembly on August 2012. Concert tour in Australia on November 2012. Visit Lumbini Year 2012 in Australia on December 2012.
In 2013: Performed at the III Tibetan Culture Week at Spain and performed at The DSC Jaipur Literature Festival 2013 at Jaipur, India on January 2013. A speaker for closing ‘Freedom Dinner’ on February 2013 at the Asia Liberty Forum. Performed at World Tour Exhibition of Jade Buddha for Universal Peace in Malaysia and attended The 3rd International Theravada Buddhist Universities Conference on ‘Buddhist Education & Life Education’ in Thailand on March 2013. Attended the Balancing Material and Spiritual Development For an Economy of Greater Well being in the land of GNH ( Gross National Happiness) in Bhutan on June 2013. Performed at Buddhist Art and Culture Festival 2013 in Indonesia on June 2013. Musical video shoot for MTV Coke Studio on July 2013 at Mumbai, India. Concert tour in Mumbai, India and performed at 2013 Quanzhou Buddhist Soul Music Concert in Quanzhou, Fujian, China on July 2013. Attended the Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2013 as a speaker in Thimphu, Bhutan on August 2013. Performed at 1st Funding Members’ Conclave International Buddhist Confederation (IBC) in New Delhi, India and Performed at the International Festival of Buddhist Heritage of Ladakh, India on September 2013. Performed at the Navdanya’s Annual Bhoomi festival (Earth Day Celebration) in Delhi, India and concert tour in Ahmadabad and New Delhi, India on October 2013. Attended the NRN Global Conference 2013 in Nepal and performed at Shanghai World Music Festival in Shanghai, China on October 2013. Concert tour in Europe from October to December 2013.
In 2014: Performed at Wuji Ensemble’s Concerts in Hong Kong on March 29th – 30th, 2014. Performed at A Tapestry of Sacred Music at Singapore on April 2014. Performed at event organized by World Presidents’ Organization (WPO) and Young President Organization (YPO) on August 4th 2014 at Bangalore, India. Performed for a fund raising event for MUKTI Charitable Trust, Chennai, India on August 2014. Performed at Annual Summit LIFE 2014 Leadership Initiative for Excellence on August 2014 in New Delhi, India.
2275 Total Views 2 Views Today
- Certificate of Acknowledgement given to Ani Choying Dolma for the participation and valuable contribution to the Bridge-Builder Conference at Harvard University in February 2003.
- On August 22, 2004 Everest Foundation Nepal presented Appreciation Nepal 2061 organized on 50th National Day.
- United Nations Women’s Organization of Nepal present certificate for recognition as Honourable Member of UNWO in September 2004.
- Little Angles School, Hattiban, Lalitpur, Nepal presented token of love.
- Great Compassion Boarding School, Mustang presented The Call from Himalayas a token of appreciation for the great help in raising funds for the development of the school.
- Kist Merchant Banking & Finance Ltd. (Bittiya Sanstha) and Team Himalaya Media P. Ltd presented token of appreciation for the participation as guest of honor in endeavour ‘Kist Calling Time’ aired in Nepal Television 2.
- Inaugurated “Samay Chakra”an art exhibition by Ragini Upadhya in Siddharth Art gallery, Kathmandu in April 2005.
- Token of appreciation on National Citizen Peace Recognition 2062 presented by Buddha Jayanti Celebration Community and Peace Development Campaign Nepal, Putalisadak, Kathmandu on May 27th, 2005.
- Man Mohan Smriti Community Hospital, Pharping, Kathmandu presented an appreciation for the participation as chief guest on July 29th, 2005.
- Felicitated by the Metro FM 94.1, Kathmandu, Nepal in September 2005.
- Eurasia Reiyukai 20th Branch presented appreciation letter on December 31, 2005.
- Felicitated by Seven Year Celebration of Metro F.M. 24 .6 established by Kathmandu Metropolitan, Dilli bajar, Kalikasthan, Kathmandu on September 17, 2005.
- Malpi International School, Panauti, Kavre, Nepal rewarded a token of love on September 09, 2006.
- Nepal Appreciative Inquiry National Network (NAINN) presented Peace Award 2007 (2064).
- Unique Guest Vacation Pvt. Ltd presented Honouring Service towards God, Humanity & Nation on the occasion of tenth vacation on August 30, 2007.
- Stupa Community Hospital, Boudha, Pipalbot presented appreciation letter for the contribution to the Stupa Sandhaya Charity show held on March 30, 2007 at Hyatt Regency Hotel for patients.
- National People Awareness Society Development of Nepal presented Rastra Bajan Jhagaran Sammaan on October 13, 2007.
- Through Kantipur Television, Madhurima Nepal Kala Kendra presented token of appreciation for the show Boleko Nepal.
- Rotary Club of Kathmandu & Patan presented recognition letter for the invaluable time, untiring efforts and philanthropic gesture by offering the proceed of the concert ‘Time for our Soul’ to build National Kidney Center on December 15, 2007.
- On March 29, 2008 Muktinath Orphanage Bhaktapur, Nepal presented an appreciation letter.
- Letter of Honour presented by Children Liberty English B. School on April 05, 2008.
- World Premier – 2008 on Peace Anthems.
- Appreciation letter presented by Madhurima Phool Kumari Mahato Youth Appreciation 2008 (2065) on July 09, 2009.
- Recommendation Letter by Manmohan Memorial Community Hospital, Pharping on September 05, 2009.
- Acknowledged on Peace for Development by Krishna Mohan- Nyudub Peace Prize in the year 2010.
- Certificate of recognition presented by Narayan Gopal Youth Music Prize in January 29th, 2010 at Babar Mall, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Token of love presented by Shikharapur Community School (Open School) on July 17, 2010.
- On the occasion of Rajat Mahotsyap 2067 Surya Daya Jyoti Aawasiya Lower Secondary School, Dilli Bajar, Kathmandu awarded on August 16, 2010.
- Token of appreciation presented on October 21, 2011 by Ananta Nepal 2011 for the immense support towards the economic empowerment of Women Home Based Workers.
- Zen Swabeytambar Terapath Kanya Mandal, Biratnagar presented an acknowledgement letter on October 30th, 2011.
- Mahendra Kumar Molcha Smriti Pratistha, Biratnagar presented acknowledgment letter on October 30, 2011.
- Nepal Tourism Year 2011 (NTY 2011) announced Goodwill Ambassador of Nepal Tourism Year in 2011.
- Boudha Multiple Campus presented Second Year Celebration 2068 an appreciation letter on March 10th, 2012 at Boudha, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Nai Prakashan Puraskar Samparna Samaroha presented the year 2012 (2069) Nai Khara Gaurab Puraskar on May 04, 2012.
- Acknowledgment letter presented by Chiniya Lama Boudha Foundation, Boudha, Kathmandu on May 05, 2012.
- On 2556th Buddha Jayanti and 36th Yearly Celebration of Boudha Secondary English School, Ramhiti, Boudha rewarded an acknowledgment letter on May 05, 2012.
- Yogi Narharinath Drisht Aadhayamik Parisadh presented token of appreciation letter on May 06th, 2012.
- Shree Mahendra Boudha Higher Secondary School, Boudha, Phoolbari, Kathmandu presented appreciation letter on the Yearly Celebration of 2069 dated on February 28th, 2013.
- Token of appreciation on Religion for Peace – Nepal on June 16, 2013.
2310 Total Views 2 Views Today
- Ravinia Festival (1999), Illinois, US
- US Smithsonian Folk Life Festival (2000), Washington, D.C.
- Scotland Millennium Festival (2000), Glen Lyon, Scotland
- Sixth World Music Festival (2001), Barcelona, Spain
- Donohue Festival (2002), Austria
- Weitsicht festival(2004)
- Participated in the Stimmen Festival/Voices Festival (July1,2,3) Switzerland in July 2005
- Participated in the Festival Musicale Del Mediterraneo (July 6),Genua, Italy in July 2005.
- Performed at the Enjoy Jazz Festival in Heidelberg together with the musicians Kudsi Ergüner, (Turkey, Michel Godard, (France) in March, 2006.
- Performed at the New York Festival with the Shenwei Dance Art family in September 2006.
- Norway festival (2008) Performed at the European Spiritual Film Festival in Paris (March 23, 24) France in July 2009.
- Performed at the 3rd International Festival of Sacred Arts in India on March 2011.
- Attended the Weitsicht Festival in Darmstadt,Germany on April 2011.
- Performed at the 2011 Wesak Film Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 18th June, 2011.
- Attended the 6th NRN Regional Conference 2011 on July 2011 in Russia.
- Performed at the Maitreya Cultural Festival in Zhejiang Fenhua, China on September 19th, 2011.
- Performed at the India Folk Music Festival on October 2011 in Rajasthan, India.
- Attended the Revenna Festival in Italy on July 2012.
- Performed at The DSC Jaipur Literature Festival 2013 at Jaipur, India on January 2013
- Performed at Buddhist Art and Culture Festival 2013 in Indonesia on June 2013.
- Attended the Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2013 as a speaker in Thimphu, Bhutan on August 2013.
- Performed at the International Festival of Buddhist Heritage of Ladakh, India on September 2013.
- Performed at the Navdanya’s Annual Bhoomi festival (Earth Day Celebration) in Delhi, India on October 2013.
- Performed at Shanghai World Music Festival in Shanghai, China on October 2013.
- Performed at A Tapestry of Sacred Music (Sounds of Contemlation by Ani Choying Drolma, Steve Tibbetts & Marc Anderson *Nepal/USA* in Singapore on April 25th, 2014.
2326 Total Views 2 Views Today
- World Women’s Conference, Beijing Plus Five (2000), U.N. Headquarters, New York
- Sakyadita 6th International Conference of Buddhist Women (2000), Lumbini, Nepal
- Women of Peace Conference (2001), Torrino, Italy
- Harvard University Bridge Builders Conference (2003), Cambridge, Mass., US.
- World Social Forum, Mumbai, India.(Jan 2004)
- Conference in USA(March 2004)
- Attended and performed in the second global NRN conference held in BICC, Kathmandu, Nepal in October 2005
- Attended the NRN Regional Conference in Germany in June 2006.
- Attended and performed on the occasion of Nepal Day in Hamburg, Germany on 5th May 2007.
- Attended and performed in the 6th NRN Regional Conference Russia 2011 on July 2011.
- Attended the NRN Global Conference held in Nepal on October 2011.
- Attended the 7th NRN Regional Conference in Sydney from August 30th – September 1st, 2012.
- Attended The 3rd International Theravada Buddhist Universities Conference on ‘Buddhist Education & Life Education’ in Thailand on March 2013.
- Performed at 1st Funding Members’ Conclave International Buddhist Confederation (IBC) in New Delhi, India.
- Attended the NRN Global Conference 2013 in Nepal on October 2013.
- Attended The Shift Conference in New Delhi, India on February 8th, 2014.
All of the money raised through Ani Choying’s performances and record sales go directly to the Nuns Welfare Foundation.
2423 Total Views 2 Views Today
- Award of Journalistic Excellence Second Place-Division A Soft Feature MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO ‘Choying’ 14th Annual Conference Washington, D.C., July 25th, 1998.
- Felicitated and awarded 5000 Euros at the Weitsicht festival(Oct 2004)Felicitated by Everest Foundation Nepal(August 2004)
- Awarded the Image Channel award for the Best Female Vocal performance for her song “Phoolko Aankhama” from her album, “Moments of Bliss”. The song was also awarded the best song of the year in May 2005.
- Honorary guest in the Abraham Conservation Awards organized by WWF, Nepal in June 2005.
- Awarded the “Chinnalata Githi Puruskar” in Kathmandu for best female vocal performance in August 2005.
- Awarded Best Devotional Album by the Tibetan Music Awards held in Mcleod Ganj(Delhi) on October 22 2005.
2336 Total Views 2 Views Today